Norfolk State University Dean of the Robert C. Nusbaum Honors College
Norfolk State University invites candidates for Dean of the Robert C. Nusbaum Honors College. The incumbent’s duties include the following:
- Mentors Honors students and faculty in their research and conference travel; serves ex officio on many University committees.
- Teaches the required capstone Honors seminar (one course per semester); raises funds vital to sustaining the Honors enterprise.
- Hosts weekly hour-long Honors Cafés, informal gatherings of faculty, community guests, and students to discuss the arts, culture and civic engagement.
- Administers the Community and Faculty Senior Fellows program, an entity similar to an advisory board.
- Monitors program and scholarly affiliations at the state, regional, national and international levels.
- Promotes Honors Faculty and Senior Fellow development by conducting professional development events, by personally modeling scholarly pursuits (publishing, lecturing, etc.), and by engaging in civic and professional work.
- Selected candidate must possess a Ph.D. (or other terminal degree) and be eligible for a tenured full professorship in her/his discipline, as a prerequisite for being appointed as Dean.
- Candidates with demonstrated experience in the humanities and social science disciplines are strongly preferred.
- Candidates with demonstrated experience in honors education and/or
interdisciplinary and core-text (or close reading) teaching methods are strongly preferred.
- Candidate must demonstrate exemplary scholarly and professional achievement, as evidenced by recent peer-reviewed publications, books, grantsmanship, and/or other scholarly accomplishments.
- Candidate must have considerable academic leadership experience equivalent to or above that of a department chair at an accredited college or university.
Dean – The Robert C. Nusbaum Honors College
Norfolk State University
Office of Human Resources
700 Park Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23504
Phone contact: 757-823-8160
Email contact: [email protected]