CLA Founding President, Dr. Hugh Morris Gloster
May 11, 1911 – February 16, 2002
In 1937 Dr. Hugh Morris Gloster, along with nine other scholars from historically black colleges and universities, was the Founding Father of the College Language Association (CLA) at Lemoyne College in Memphis, Tennessee. Moreover, he was the first president of this distinguished organization (1937-38) and he served a second term (1948-50) during the post-World War II era.
Dr. Gloster was born and reared in Brownsville, Tennessee. He received a B.A. degree from Morehouse College (1931), an M.A. from Atlanta University (1933), and a Ph.D. in English from New York University (1943). In addition, he was the recipient of the CLA President’s Award (1997), the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters, and a Lifetime Achievement Award at Hampton University (1999). Dr. Gloster was a prominent educator, scholar and world traveler whose most well-known work was Negro Voices in American Fiction (1948). Before he retired from Morehouse College, Dr. Gloster was named by his peers as one of the 100 best college presidents in the nation. In addition, he served as a member of the Morehouse College Board of Trustees until his death. Articles by several CLA scholars about Dr. Gloster’s contributions to higher education and to the CLA can be found in The Chronicle of Higher Education (July 22, 1987), Call and Response: The Riverside Anthology of the African American Literary Tradition (1998) and The Encyclopedia of Black America (1988).