The Editorial Board of The College Language Association Journal (CLAJ) invites applications and nominations for the position of Book Review Editor for the official scholarly research publication of the College Language Association.
- The Book Review Editor will work closely with the CLAJ Editor and members of the Editorial Board to provide reviews of new publications pertinent to areas of Language, Literature, Linguistics and Pedagogy.
- The Book Review Editor will be expected to stay abreast of new and forthcoming publications of interest to the CLA membership.
- The Book Review Editor will initiate contacts with new authors and/or presses to secure copies of new works for potential review.
- The Book Review Editor will identify and assign competent reviewers for new works and make sure that reviews submitted are of top notch quality.
- The successful applicant will be expected to shepherd to publication a minimum of three reviews per CLAJ issue or approximately 12 reviews per calendar year.
- An avid reader with excellent written, verbal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience editing and proofreading preferable
- Collaborative and flexible working style; willing to receive and provide feedback.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and distribute materials for review in the journal;
- Ability to maintain and organize a team of qualified reviewers;
- Ability to meet, and hold others to, deadlines;
- Familiarity with trends in Language, Literature, Linguistics and Pedagogy; and CLA membership
- Send a cover letter application addressing the nominee’s qualifications in the areas noted above along with a current CV to: Dr. Sandra G. Shannon / Editor, College Language Association Journal at [email protected] Self nominations are welcomed.
- Applicants may also include examples of reviews or editing work to demonstrate relevant abilities.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is June 15, 2017. Finalists will be interviewed by conference calls beginning July 15, 2017. Selection will be announced August 1, 2017.
- Upon the recommendation of the CLAJ Editorial Board, and pending approval by the CLA Executive Board, the Book Review Editor will be appointed for a possibly two-year renewable term without monetary compensation.